Corrosion knowledge can help to reduce the risk of failures and the cost of risk management like no other discipline can. This is so because only corrosion engineering expertise can help to answer a number of important questions:
- What types of degradation are possible, what degradation is unlikely, and what is probable?
- How can degradation processes be controlled or mitigated?
- How can the rate of degradation be monitored or estimated, and what type of failure can it lead to?
- How can we build and maintain an effective, flexible and cost-efficient corrosion monitoring and inspection system?
- How can we develop the most cost effective method for general reduction of the risk of failure?